Sunday, April 26, 2020

A Potpourri of Ideas to Help us Have Fun




Hello everyone.  I guess the long haul just got longer here in Ontario with schools closed to May 31.  At least the labour situation has eased.  Remember when teacher strikes were happening and how frustrating it was to have no school for a day every other week?

But on to other matters.  I've entitled this post a Potpourri because it's a miscellaneous collection of some ideas to have fun.

My daughters and John and I have been trying to have daily video conferences at the end of the business/school day.  But a week or so ago, my daughter Cindy, in Burlington asked if we could do a special grandparents' video time with Luke (10) and Florence (8) because they were missing their time with us!  So we set up a conference call on Messenger and played Tenzies.  It was a year ago that I wrote the original post about how much fun this game is.  I did buy the deck of 77 Ways to Play Tenzi and I have the set of four coloured dice.

Cindy doesn't have a Tenzi set but she did have a lot of dice from a game called Flash.  You could also raid all the games in your house that come with dice (just remember where they came from later!)

The kids got creative and figured out a way to make sure they had 10 dice of their own and we started to play - Luke and Florence in Burlington, I in Markham.  Note that we used place mats or towels to soften the sound of possibly 30 dice hitting a hard surface all at once!

It was so satisfying that we have now played twice!  

Oldest grandson, Cameron, introduced his mom to a virtual version of Pictionary.  So KC got us set up and it was our activity for our Saturday Family Game Night last night.

We had 7 laptops/tablets between the 8 of us with either a tablet or another window open on the laptop so we could talk to each other.  Highly recommended.

Along the same line (but with a trifle more challenging learning curve) is this site for playing card games.

John and I played Crazy Eights last night after the rest of the family left the video call - he at the desktop downstairs and I on my laptop upstairs.  Once we got the hang of it, we could see that it would be a good way to play together. Luke and John could play chess, but we want to play a game of Hearts first.  There is a good Help section; I think I was too eager to get right to playing the card game and didn't spend any time reading how to do it (think of that Executive Function that controls impulsivity and my deficit there!)

Cindy puts together the newsletter for the Science Teachers' Association of Ontario (STAO) and she found this Scavenger Hunt from the Perimeter Institute.  She was impressed and suggested I add it my blog!



And, finally, this just about sums up how it goes these days:

Hugs (virtually) to all.

Gerrie



No comments:

Post a Comment