Thursday, April 11, 2019

Reading Aloud to Kids of All Ages

Recently I had a discussion with a parent about the advantages of reading aloud to children, no matter their age.  I used to read to my Grade 7 students right after lunch to help them settle in.  I would find picture books related to the science topic we were studying.  

The reasons listed on the website 
Reading Aloud to Kids: The 12 Benefits of Reading Books Out Loud to Children of All Ages are powerful motivators. 

Here's an interview with Jim Trelease.  Jim is a well-known educator (and author of the Read-Aloud Handbook - now in its 7th edition, although an 8th edition is due in the fall of 2019) who believes in the importance of reading aloud to children of all ages. 

At the end of the interview are recommendations for books to read-aloud by grades 3, 4, and 5.  But maybe better to read Jim's book itself.  

My all-time favourite book to read to students in Grade 6 and up, is The Phantom Tollbooth. (And as I was searching for an image of this book,  I have learned that there is an annotated edition that I just might have to treat myself to!)

I could go on and on about the benefits of reading aloud but since I want you to get to reading to your kids, I'll stop now.  Let me know if you have any questions about this topic because I am a huge proponent of this concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment